Refugee Republic has won the Digital Storytelling Competition at the Netherlands Film Festival 2015 and receives this stunning trophy plus a cash prize of 2000 Euros from Ramillas.com.
Visual artist Jan Rothuizen, journalist Martijn van Tol, and photographer Dirk Jan Visser created an original and powerful interactive project based on their visit to the Domiz refugee camp in Kurdish Northern Iraq. The interactive is available in both English and Dutch versions:
During the festival, a shortlist of 8 Dutch interactive projects were presented by their makers to an audience at the Hoogt cinema in Utrecht, the Netherlands. A professional jury selected 3 nominees from the shortlist:
- 4JIM (KRO-NCRV) (nominee)
- REFUGEE REPUBLIC (SUBMARINE Channel) (nominee)
- WAAROM SREBRENICA MOEST VALLEN (VPRO) (nominee)
- BEHIND THE BLUE SCREEN (Correspondent)
- BISTRO IN VITRO (SUBMARINE Channel)
- PENOZA HET NETWERK (KRO-NCRV)
- SWARTZSHIELD (Spektor)
- WHO ARE THE CHAMPIONS? (SUBMARINE Channel)
The beautiful trophy, made of polished olive wood, was specially commissioned by Ramillas from the Madrid-based artist Alberto Carvajal. The design is inspired by the interactive concept and allows the piece to be displayed in several different ways, according to the tastes or the whim of the viewer.